KU-KSBDC working for you
The KU-KSBDC provides free and confidential individual counseling to small business owners, managers and prospective owners. The center can work with any company that fits into the Small Business Administration's definition of a "small business."
The center works both with start-up companies, existing small businesses, and those who wish to sell or purchase a small business. Typical areas covered in counseling include the startup process, business planning, financing and funding, marketing, accounting, human resources and taxes.
The objective of this counseling is to promote a healthy small business community and to foster economic development through new business starts, expansions, job creation and retention, and sales growth.
How do you become a KU-KSBDC client?
There are several ways you may reach us:
- Call us at (785) 843-8844
- Sign up online to become a client by clicking here.
- Visit us at 646 Vermont, Suite 200, Lawrence, KS, 66044. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m to 5 p.m. While we may not be able to have a full counseling session when you walk in, we can meet you and schedule an appointment for you.
- Attend a seminar. You may sign up for our seminars online. We strongly encourage you to attend "Exploring Entrepreneurship" if you are a brand new company or thinking about starting a business. This seminar is free and held every other Tuesday night.
Click here to view and register for seminars.
- Email us. You may email our counselors at any time with questions or concerns. While our central office is in Lawrence, Kan., we have an outreach center in Wetmore, Kan., as well as counselors who regularly travel to other parts of our service area. The counties in which our counselors regularly keep office hours and/or travel to are highlighted in bold.
- Will Katz, Regional Director
- Douglas, Leavenworth, Jefferson, Atchison, Doniphan and Franklin counties
- Brian Dennis, consultant
- - Douglas, Leavenworth, Jefferson, Atchison, Doniphan and Franklin counties
- Mary Ann Rierderer, consultant
- Atchison and Doniphan counties, out of the Glacial Hills KSBDC
The Request for Counseling is our client application form and asks for contact, demographic, and basic company information as well as what type of counseling is being sought. The Statement of Understanding is a document that explains the roles and responsibilities of the relationship between the KU-KSBDC and a client. These forms must be read and signed before an counseling is received. You may complete both of these forms in advance and bring them with you to your appointment, or you may complete them at the beginning of your appointment with a KU-KSBDC counselor.