A finance degree from KU will prepare you to work in a variety of fields, including corporate finance, investment banking, commercial banking, asset management, real estate and personal financial planning. Your general business education, as well as your specific training in finance, will prepare you for competitive jobs. As a business student, you can further market yourself by declaring a concentration along with your major.
Refer to the Program Guide in the Advising Handouts for the complete list of requirements.
- FIN 410: Investment Theory
- FIN 415: Corporate Finance
- ACCT 321 or ACCT 410: Intermediate ACCT Finance
- FIN 413: Financial Markets and Intermediaries
- +3 Advanced Business Electives
Advanced Business Electives (320 or higher)
- Applied Portfolio Management
- Business Valuation
- Commercial Bank Management
- Corporate Financial Policy
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Finance Modeling and Risk Analysis
- Futures and Options
- International Finance
- Portfolio Strategy
A finance degree from KU will prepare you to work in a variety of fields, including corporate finance, investment banking, commercial banking, asset management, real estate and personal financial planning, by developing strong analytical, accounting and communication skills.
No matter what career field you choose, it is important to gain experience through summer internships and part-time jobs. You can participate in a job shadowing experience or a company visit — both will allow you to take a look at finance careers. For more information, check out Business Career Services.
Typical positions include:
- Bank Examiner
- Banking Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
- Controller/Finance Director
- Finance Manager
- Financial Adviser
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Planner
- Fund Accountants
- Mergers and Acquisitions Manager
- Portfolio/Fund Manager
- Property Manager
- Trust Officer
Freshman Direct Admission
Incoming freshmen are eligible for direct admission to the School of Business if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Earn an ACT score of 25 or above or a SAT combined score of 1200 or above (math and critical reading)
- Earn at least a 3.25 high school GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Indicate a business major on application to KU
Current KU students that wish to enter the School of Business must go through the Competitive Admissions process. There are two application cycles each year – a February 15 deadline for fall admission, and a September 15 deadline for spring admission.
Students apply during the semester they will complete the following minimum application requirements:
- Junior standing (60 credit hours)
- Minimum 2.5 GPA overall AND in business and economics coursework (both KU and non-KU credits)
- Completion of foundation coursework (list of coursework)
Applicants satisfying these requirements are ranked by academic merit and considered for admission based on rank and available space.
Only students admitted to KU through Office of Admissions (domestic students) or International Undergraduate Admissions (international students) are permitted to complete the KU School of Business application. Admission to the School of Business is done through the Competitive Admission process.
Edwards Campus BBA
For adult non-traditional students in Johnson County and the metropolitan Kansas City area, the KU School of Business offers the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) at the KU Edwards Campus.