Many international students are interested in seeking employment in the United States following graduation. As an international student, you should be aware that this process can be very difficult given US Immigration laws. The job search process is seldom easy for anyone, but for international students it can be especially confusing.
The International Student Job Search Handout has been created to give our International students some specific tips about the employment process and the hiring complexities associated with obtaining the necessary sponsorship. There are also some websites listed below, along with GoinGlobal and MyWorldAbroad, which are specifically designed to assist International Students with their career search:
- American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries – Provided through KU Libraries. Login using your KU online ID and password if necessary. This database includes information on U.S. companies who have substantial investments overseas.
- American Immigration Network–The United States Immigration services for individuals, business and organizations by a team of experienced, licensed immigration attorneys. Complete immigration do-it-yourself kits
- Foreign Firms Operating in the United States – Provided through KU Libraries. Login using your KU online ID and password if necessary. This database includes foreign companies who have substantial investments in the United States.
- Foreign Labor Certification–Allows you to view the H1B Labor Certification Database to identify employers that do not have policies that prohibit them from interviewing or hiring international applicants seeking sponsorship.
- Foreign MBA– Specifically targeted to international MBA students.
- MyVisaJobs--Allows users to search for companies (by keyword or industry) that have recently filed for H1B visas.
- The World Factbook--The World Factbook provides cultural and historic information for 267 world entities. This resource can be excellent for students who are considering working abroad, but want to know more about countries of interest.
- VisaDoor–Provides information on companies that have filed for H1B visas.
Check out the Center for Global Business Studies to find out information on how to acquire international experience while at the University of Kansas School of Business!
MY WORLD ABROAD
GoinGlobal's country-specific career and employment database contains information on topics such as work permit/visa regulations, resume writing guidelines and examples, employment trends, salary ranges, networking groups and cultural/interviewing advice. GoinGlobal's H1B Plus database is an incredibly robust system which contains all Department of Labor H1B visa application records. KU Students can access GoinGlobal through KU Career Connections. Just click on the logo and log in with your username and password!