Jayhawks on the Job
Jayhawks on the Job is an event sponsored by the School of Business that allows students to "shadow" a business professional or attend a “company visit” during the course of a workday. Access the student registration form
Jayhawks on the Job 2015 will be held during the month of March until April 10. Once matched, the host and student(s) will decide on a job-shadow or company visit date that will accommodate both parties.
What are the objectives?
- To provide students with a focused experience that enhances their understanding of a particular field and the business world.
- To provide an opportunity for students to learn more about themselves and refine their career goals.
- To provide an opportunity for students to network with business professionals.
- To provide an opportunity for the business community to interact with KU Business students.
How does it work?
- Students indicate their field or fields of interest (e.g. marketing, human resources, tax, investments, information systems, etc.).
- Business professionals and companies are recruited from the Kansas City and surrounding areas including Topeka, and Ottawa.
- Students are matched with business participants based on field of interest.
- Some company visits/shadowing experiences will accommodate multiple areas of interest and are noted according to the host’s area(s) of expertise. Some companies, due to privacy reasons, hold more of a company visit/tour rather than a specific job shadow experience. We have found both experiences to be of value.
- Transportation will need to be provided to the job shadow site by the student. Job sites will be located within 50 miles of Lawrence including the Kansas City area, Topeka and Ottawa. Mileage will be reimbursed to students who submit both a signed host form and a W-9 to the School of Business within 30 days of their job shadow date.
Who are the student participants?
Target: Undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Business.
Who are the business participants?
Target: Working professionals, if possible alumni from the School of Business.
Mandatory Match Meeting
If you are matched with a host/organization, you will be contacted by the BCSC by email and expected to attend a mandatory match meeting either on Thursday, Feb. 19 at 1 p.m. or Friday, Feb. 20 at 10 a.m.
For more information, contact: