Business Leadership Program
Thank you for your interest in the Business Leadership Program. By applying you are also providing permission to the selection committee to review all academically relevant information submitted on your KU applications. Please note all eligibility requirements below, and if you have further questions, contact BLP Director Jennifer Harrison at JTKharrison@ku.edu.
You are eligible to apply if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a high school senior directly admitted to the School of Business; and
- You indicate one of the eight business majors on their application to KU to be considered;
- Your high school GPA is 3.8 or higher on a 4-point scale (new test-optional path for Fall 2021 eligibility); OR
- Your high school GPA between 3.5 and 3.79 on a 4-point scale and either your ACT Superscore is 28 or higher (or your SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing and Math score is 1310 or higher)
Note that you must complete and submit the application to be considered. Application for BLP is a process separate from application to the University, School, or Honors Program. Our priority deadline to apply is December 15. The final application deadline is February 15.
The selection committee will evaluate your application using three primary criteria: leadership/impact potential, academic potential, and the quality of the application itself. Please note that you may not save an unfinished application. We strongly suggest that you review the questions below and prepare your answers before starting to complete the application online. For those who also plan to apply to KU’s University Honors Program, note that two of our questions are identical to questions that appear on the University Honors Program application. For those questions, feel free to submit the same answers on both applications. Only complete applications will be considered.
The application consists of the following items:
- Name, Address, Email, Phone
- Short essay questions:
- Help us learn about you, your life, and your experiences. List no more than five items (clubs and organizations, work experience, community service, awards and recognition, extracurricular interests, personal or family obligations, etc.) in descending order of significance (list the most significant item first). For each item, explain your role, time commitment (both amount of time you devote to the activity and the year(s) in which you were involved), and responsibilities. (500 word maximum)
- How have your experiences affected your sense of who you are and what you hope to accomplish? There are no wrong answers. (400 word maximum)
- The BLP seeks to challenge KU’s most talented, ambitious first-year business students with experiential learning opportunities to define their leadership style, exercise their learned skills, and become leaders on campus who are equipped to lead their future communities. What motivates you to take on this challenge? There are no wrong answers, but please be as specific as possible. For example, you could consider whether there are particular problems you are hoping to solve, experiences that sparked your desire to lead, or visions of yourself as a leader in future endeavors. (300 word maximum)
- What made you decide to study business? Briefly explain why you have decided to study business. (50 word maximum)
- Priority deadline is 11:59 p.m. December 15.
- Late application period deadline is 11:59 p.m. February 15.
- All students will be notified of admissions decisions by March 15. Students who apply before Dec. 15 may learn of decisions in mid-February.
- The deadline for students to accept or decline admission is April 15.