Business Leadership Program
BLP students are required to enroll in the following classes:
BUS 200 Business Leadership seminar
Students enroll in BUS 200 in the fall and spring semesters. The course provides structured opportunities to engage students in active career and major exploration, promote leadership development, and build professional skills. The class is held for one hour a week and additional out-of-class activities are required.
Sample schedule of activities (subject to change):
- Conversations with faculty leaders of the academic majors in the KU School of Business
- Networking events
- Etiquette dinner
- Alumni guest speakers
- Networking with sophomore, junior and senior BLP students
- Collaborative projects with SELF Fellows of the KU School of Engineering
- Case competition
- Creation of a 4 year leadership plan
- One-on-one “coaching” sessions with the director of the Business Leadership Program
- Strengths assessment and interpretation
- Group project
- Weekly writing assignments
ACCT 200 Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
Students in the Business Leadership Program will enroll in a common lab section of ACCT 200 in the fall semester. ACCT 200 is a required course for a degree in business. Prerequisite: MATH 101 (College Algebra) or a score of 26 or higher on the ACT Math section.
The second year of Business Leadership Program focuses on the exercise of leadership through the development and implementation of projects that will challenge individual and team leadership skills with the goal of improving the KU School of Business with the outcomes of the projects. BLP second year students will suggest, develop, present, and implement projects. The Dean of the KU School of Business will evaluate the value of the project proposals and provide feedback to students prior to the implementation stage. Throughout the second year, BLP students will work on presentation skills. Great leaders must be able to come up with good ideas and present them well in order to impact others. Writing skills emphasized in the first year are further developed in the second year. Great emphasis is placed on professional networking to build greater opportunity for experience through networking. The goal of the second year is to create and implement a project that has positive impact on the KU and KU Business community.
- Successful completion of BUS 200 in the fall and spring semesters of your freshman and sophomore years with a grade of “B” or better each semester.
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher KU and KU Professional (business & micro- & macro-economics) GPA.
- Maintenance of good standing within the University of Kansas School of Business.
Business Leadership Program students who fail to meet these requirements will be dropped from the program and will lose any associated scholarships.