Jack Dicus Business Honors Program
Application Eligibility and Deadlines
Applicants must be either current students in the University of Kansas School of Business or planning to apply to the KU School of Business. All majors in the School of Business are represented in the business honors program. Application is competitive. The admissions committee prioritizes academic achievement and intellectual curiosity, professionalism, and community involvement and leadership.
The application period for BHP occurs in the spring semester of each academic year:
- Application opens on Monday, February 1, 2021.
- Application deadline is 11:49 p.m. Thursday, February 19, 2021.
- We plan to communicate decisions to applicants March 8, 2021.
When should you apply?
We recommend that you apply when you have at least two years remaining at KU, and before you have taken many of the 300-level business courses. There are honors versions of many of those courses available, and we want you to have the opportunity to take them. In addition, if you apply and are not admitted, you are welcome to re-apply the following year (provided you still meet the criteria).
To be eligible to apply, you need:
· At least one full-time semester (at least 12 graded credit hours in one semester) already completed at KU;
· An overall KU GPA of at least 3.7;
Applicants who do not meet the above two criteria will not be considered. Successful applicants also will demonstrate exceptional involvement and leadership in the business school, KU and/or the broader community.
Questions about eligibility may directed to the director of the Jack Dicus Business Honors Program, Jennifer Harrison (email@example.com), or the assistant director, Lisa Bergeron (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply, you will need:
- A professional 1 page resume; [Note: Want help creating a professional resume? We recommend you make an appointment with an advisor in Business Career Services.]
- Well-written and well-edited responses to the following questions: [Note: We recommend you prepare your answers to the questions before starting the application. Want help crafting well-written responses? We recommend you make an appointment with a writing coach in the Business Communications Center.]
- Motivation and perspective. Why are you interested in participating in the Business Honors Program? Consider both what you hope to get from the program, and what you believe you can contribute to your fellow BHP students’ experience. [75 words max.]
- Intellectual curiosity. What has been the most intellectually stimulating experience in your KU education, thus far? Consider what has sparked your interest and curiosity and how you responded. You may choose to focus on an experience with a particular course or assignment, or an experience outside the classroom that led you to explore further. [125 words max.]
- Current involvement. Describe your leadership and involvement in campus or community life while at KU. List no more than three of your activities, employment, or other commitments on- or off-campus during your time at KU, in order of their significance to you. For each, describe your role and any significant achievements in that role. [150 words max.]
- Future involvement. Describe your planned future leadership and involvement in campus and community life. Review the list of experiential requirements on the BHP website at this link. (Note that you are not required to have done all of these before you apply, nor are you required to do all before you graduate. We require only that by the time you graduate, you complete at least three of the listed experiences.) Tell us which three of these experiences most interest you, and how you envision yourself completing them. What impact do you hope your activities will have on the business school or university community? [150 words max.]
Submit your resume and cover letter on HireJayhawks.com (search by “Jack Dicus Business Honors Program”).
If you are not registered on HireJayhawks.com, please follow these steps:
- Go to HireJayhawks.com.
- Log in via your KU single sign-on credentials.
- Fill out your information and accept the policy statement.
- On the Documents tab, upload your resume and cover letter for the BHP application.
- On the homepage, search for “Jack Dicus Business Honors Program.”
- Once on the posting, click Apply and submit your resume and BHP cover letter.
Questions about HireJayhawks.com or any technical issues in applying can be directed to Business Career Services in 1130 Capitol Federal Hall, email@example.com, or 785-864-5591.