Make an Appointment at Business Career Services
Why Should I Meet with a Career Advisor?
Career Advisors in the Business Career Services (BCS) are available to provide individualized guidance to your specific career objectives. Whether you’re exploring the range of career options available to you in business, seeking an internship or ready to execute your job search, we’re here to support your efforts. Students who work with career services are more likely to be employed at graduation and even report higher salaries. The agenda of your appointment is up to you, but typical topics often include:
- Choosing a business major
- Resume assistance and critique
- Interview preparation
- Internship and job search advice
- Networking strategies and LinkedIn
- Managing multiple employment offers
- Salary negotiation
- Relocation strategies
- Mapping a career management strategy
The BCS is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Appointments are required and can be held through phone or Zoom video call.
Scheduling an Appointment:
As part of KU and School of Business’ ongoing COVID-19 precautions, Business Career Services appointments will be conducted by phone or Zoom. If you need to schedule an appointment, please do so online or call our office at 785-864-5591. Prior to your scheduled appointment, a career advisor will contact you directly with a zoom meeting link, unless you have specifically requested a phone appointment. Zoom is accessible via smart phone, tablet, or computer. Instructions for using it are available here.
Business Career Services enforces a late policy for all scheduled career advising appointments. Any students who arrive more than 10 minutes late to their scheduled appointment will be asked to reschedule.
Our Career Advising Team:
Our Career Advisors have expertise in business career paths, area employment trends, companies that recruit at KU and career management strategies. We work closely with an Employer Advisory Council which informs the advice that we extend to students. Our advisors include: Alicia Green, Jennifer Jordan, Ashley Nance, Stephanie Heffner and Jolene Phillips. More information about our team can be found here.
KU Business Career Services is proud to provide support to recent graduates and alumni of the KU School of Business. As a recent graduate, we offer a full extension of our comprehensive career services up through six months of your graduation, including one-on-one career advising.
HireJayhawks.com for Alumni:
- HireJayhawks.com accounts for Business students are archived annually each August. Our office will notify you by email twice to alert you of this process. If you wish for your account to remain active, simply reply to let us know. We will provide a complimentary six-month extension to your account. If your account is archived in error, contact our office for assistance. For individuals beyond six months of graduation, there is a one-time $50 fee for HireJayhawks.com.
One-on-One Career Advising:
- Our professional career advisors assist students and alumni with a range of career-related needs including resume critiques, job search strategies and more. For alumni beyond six months of graduation, we provide two complimentary one-on-one appointments. For needs that extend beyond two appointments, a $50 per visit fee will be assessed. Appointments may take place in person, via Skype or by phone.
- Our website outlines a range of resources relevant to all career levels, including links to relevant KU alumni groups on LinkedIn. If you have questions about career or alumni resources, please contact our office for assistance. In a brief introductory call, we can discuss your situation and needs, direct you to relevant resources and schedule a one-on-one meeting if needed.
For all additional BCS questions or assistance:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our departmental account will be checked regularly and questions will be routed to the appropriate member of our team. We will do our best to respond efficiently. You are also welcome to contact our career advisors directly.
BCS will be featuring newsletters each week. Look for helpful tools and tips in your inbox. We are in a fluid situation, but we are committed to helping you advance your career goals during this time. Keep watching our social media accounts (@KUBusCareer on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) for ways to utilize our tools during this time.
—The Business Career Services team at the KU School of Business