- Marketing strategy
- Market segmentation
Upon receiving his Ph.D., his dissertation won the prestigious American Marketing Association Doctoral Dissertation Competition which recognizes the best marketing doctoral dissertation of the year. Since then he has authored over 60 articles and papers and has published in all of the major scholarly journals in his field. From 1970 to 1972 he was an assistant professor in economics and business at Washington State University. In 1972 he returned to KU as an associate professor and four years later was promoted to full professor. In 1986 he was awarded the Pinet Distinguished Professorship – a title which he holds today. Within the School he has held a number of administrative positions including Associate Dean for Administration and Academic Affairs, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, Director of Doctoral Programs, Director of Undergraduate Programs and Area Director for Marketing, Entrepreneurship, and Business Law. In 2006 he was recognized as a Distinguished Alumnus of the KU School of Business. He is a recipient of the University's W.T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence and has won over 16 university and school teaching awards and recognitions including the Del Shankel Teaching Excellence Award and the Motar Board Outstanding Educator Award. His service to the community includes work with the Boy Scouts of America. He has been recognized by the National Eagle Scout Association for Distinguished Service as a Scoutmaster and was presented the Silver Beaver Award by the Heart of America Council and the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America for Distinguished Service to Youth.
- Ph.D., University of Kansas (1970)
- Lessig, V. P., & Larcker, D. F. (1983). An Examination of the Linear and Retrospective Process Tracing Approaches to Judgment Modeling. The Accounting Review .
- Lessig, V. P., & Park, C. W. (1981). The Construct of Familiarity and Its Impact upon Consumer Decision Biases and Heuristics. Journal of Consumer Research.
- Lessig, V. P., Schaninger, C. M., & Panton, D. (1980). The Complementary Use of Multivariate Procedures to Investigate Nonlinear and Interactive Relationships between Personality and Product Usage. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P., & Larcker, D. F. (1980). Perceived Usefulness of Information: A Psychometric Examination. Decision Sciences.
- Lessig, V. P., & Tollefson, J. O. (1978). Aggregation Criteria in Normative Market Segmentation Theory. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P., & Park, C. W. (1977). Students and Housewives: Differences in Susceptibility to Reference Group Influence. Journal of Consumer Research.
- Lessig, V. P., Panton, D. B., & Joy, O. M. (1976). Comovement of International Equity Markets: A Taxonomic Approach. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- Lessig, V. P., Horrell, J. F., & Singh, A. (1976). LH003: A Nonparametric Program to Test for an Identity of Dispersion Patterns across C Multivariate Distributions. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P. (1976). A Consistency between Two Different Market Segmentation Approaches. Review of Business and Economic Research.
- Lessig, V. P., & Horrell, J. F. (1975). A Note on a Multivariate Generalization of the Kruskal-Wallis Test. Decision Sciences.
- Lessig, V. P., Horrell, J. F., & Singh, A. (1974). LH002: A Nonparametric Multivariate One-Way Analysis of Variance Program. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P., & Horrell, J. F. (1974). A Note on a Nonparametric Test of Independence between Two Vectors. Journal of Marketing Research .
- Lessig, V. P., Horrell, J. F., & Singh, A. (1973). LH001: A Nonparametric Program for Testing the Independence between Two Vectors. Journal of Marketing Research .
- Lessig, V. P. (1973). Consumer Store Images and Store Loyalties. Journal of Marketing.
- Lessig, V. P. (1972). Comparing Cluster Analyses with Cophenetic Correlation. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P., & Tollefson, J. O. (1971). Market Segmentation through Numerical Taxonomy. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Lessig, V. P. (1971). Review of Computer Simulation of Competitive Market Response. Accounting Review.