Ph.D. in Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, John Hopkins University, 1969
B.A. in International Trade, National Taiwan University, 1963
Po-Lung Yu, Distinguished Professor (Emeritus) of University of Kansas (KU), Kansas, and Distinguished Professor for Life of National Chiao-Tung University (NCTU), Taiwan, was raised in Taiwan, further educated and trained in USA.
From 1977 to 2004, Dr. Yu held an endowed Chair as the Carl A. Scupin Distinguished Professor of the University of Kansas. He taught at NCTU from 1999 to 2011. Previously he taught at the University of Rochester (1969-73) and the University of Texas at Austin (1973-77). He won awards for outstanding research and for teaching.
Dr. Yu, the initiator of habitual domains theory, competence set analysis and second order games, has published, in English and Chinese, 23 books and more than one hundred professional articles over management science, operations research, multiple criteria decision making, mathematical programming, differential games and optimal control theory, and various application problems including investment models, efficient market, marketing, automobile safety and energy policy, corporate acquisition and merger analysis. He has given keynote addresses around the world, academically and publicly with audiences for habitual domains and related topics sometimes numbering in the thousands.
His most recent book publication, coauthored with M. Larbani, Wonderful Solutions and Habitual Domains for Challenging Problems in Changeable Spaces (http://www.springer.com/us/book/9789811019791) was published by Springer in 2016.
Books (10 selected from 23 books)
- (With M. Larbani) Wonderful Solutions and Habitual Domains for Challenging Problems in Changeable Spaces, Springer, 2016 (275 pages). (http://www.springer.com/us/book/9789811019791)
- (With H. S. Huang and Y.C. Chen) From Decision Making to Wonderful Strategies, 從決策到妙策, China Times Publishing Company, Taipei, Taiwan 2015 (352 pages).
- (With Y. C. Chen) Advanced Habitual Domains, Opening up all Wisdom Circuitries, 習慣領域進階, China Times Publishing Company, Taipei, Taiwan, 2012 (256 pages).
- Habitual Domains’ Universal Bag, HD乾坤袋, E-Book, (2184 pages in 280 (files), 2010, in http://hdhd.org.
- HD：Habitual Domains, The Human Softwares that Affect Your Life Success or Failure, 習慣領域: 影響一生成敗的人性軟体, China Times Publishing Company, Taipei, Taiwan 2009 (370 pages).
- Habitual Domains and Forming Winning Strategies, NCTU Press, Hsinchu, Taiwan, 2002 (531 pages)
- Habitual Domains: Freeing Yourself From the Limits on Your Life, Highwater Editions, Kansas City, July 1995 (224 pages). (Translated into Korean and Chinese.)
- Forming Winning Strategies, An Integrated Theory of Habitual Domains, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, 1990 (392 pages).
- New States of Behavior, Theory and application, 行為的新境界, 理論與應用, United Economy Publisher, Taipei, Taiwan, 1987 (474 pages).
- Multiple Criteria Decision-Making: Concepts, Techniques and Extensions, Plenum, New York, New York, November 1985 (388 pages).
Journal Articles (10 selected from more than 200 professional articles)
- (With A. N.K. Chen, S. Y. Wang) “Evaluating Multi-criteria Ratings of Financial Investment Options”, International Review of Economics and Finance, 31, (2014) 46-58 (SCI).
- (With S. Y. Wang) “Evaluating Information Quality and Validity of Value Line Stock Ratings Using Domination Cones” International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making Vol. 12, No. 5 (2013) 1073–1089 (SCI).
- (With M. Larbani) “Decision Making and Optimization in Changeable Spaces, a New Paradigm”, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 155(3), 727-761, 2012 (SCI).
- (With Y. C. Chen) "Dynamic Multiple Criteria Decision Making in Changeable Spaces: from Habitual Domain to Innovation Dynamics", Annals of Operations Research, 197(1), 201-220, 2012 (SCI).
- (With Larbani) “n-Person Second-Order Game: A Paradigm Shift in Game Theory”, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 149, No. 3, pp. 447-473, 2011.
- “Habitual Domains”, Operations Research, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 869-876, 1991.
- (With D. Zhang) “A Foundation for Competence Set Analysis,” Mathematical Social Sciences, Vol. 20, pp. 251-299 (49 pages), 1990.
- (With S. J. Chan) “Stable Habitual Domains: Existence and Implications,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 110, No. 2, pp. 469-482, September, 1985.
- “Cone Convexity, Cone Extreme Points and Nondominated Solutions in Decision Problems with Multiobjectives,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Application, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 319-376 (58 pages), September 1974. Cited as the first article in Multicriteria Decision Making and Differential Games, edited by G. Leitmann, Plenum Press, New York, N.Y., pp. 1-59, 1976.
- “A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems,” Management Science, Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 936-946, 1973.