Human Resources and Organizational Behavior
Joined the University of Kansas in 1981
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology, University of South Florida (1981)
- M.A. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Ohio State University (1974)
- B.S. in Psychology, Ohio State University (1972)
In general my research interests center on the analysis of work, the performance of work, and human individual differences. Current research projects include:
• Determinants of team leader emergence
• Personality determinants of compensation preferences and satisfaction with work
• Characteristics and career paths of information technology workers
- The analysis of work
- The performance of work
- Human individual differences
- “Examining the obstacles to broadening participation in computing: Evidence from a survey of professional workers.” Contemporary Economic Policy, 2009, Vol. 27, No. 3 (July), 413-421. Ash, RA, Coder, L, Dupont, B, & Rosenbloom, JL.
- “Increasing gender diversity in the IT work force.” Communications of the ACM, 2009, Vol. 52, No. 5 (May), 25-27. Coder, L, Rosenbloom, JL, Ash, RA & Dupont, B.
- “Why are there so few women in information technology? Assessing the role of personality in career choices.” Journal of Economic Psychology, 2008, 29, 543-554. Rosenbloom, JL, Ash, RA, Dupont, B & Coder, L.
- “Pay satisfaction, cognitive complexity, and global solutions: Is a single structure appropriate for everyone?” Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 2004, 9 (2), 18-33. Caraher, SM, Mulvey, P, Scarpello, V & Ash, RA.
- "Judgmental assessment of job-related experience, training, and education for use in human resource staffing." In J. Thomas (Ed.). Comprehensive Handbook of Psychological Assessment: Industrial/Organizational Assessment, 2004, Vol. 4. New York: Wiley. Levine, EL, Ash, RA & Levine, JD.
- “Are women ‘better’ than men? Personality differences and expatriate selection.” Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2003, 18 (3), 229-243. Guthrie, JP, Ash, RA & Stevens, CD.
- “Does personality predict preferred managerial style? Evidence from New Zealand and the Uited States.” Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 2002, 40 (3), 322-344. Stevens, DC, Guthrie, JP, Ash, RA & Coate, CJ.
- "Selecting employees for fit: Personality and preferred managerial style. Journal of Managerial Issues, 2001, 13 (4), 500-517. Stevens, CD & Ash, RA.
- “The conscientiousness of students in subject pools: Implications for ‘laboratory’ research” Journal of Research in Personality, 2001, 35, 91-97. Stevens, CD & Ash, RA.
- "The practice of competency modeling.” Personnel Psychology, 2000, 53 (3), 703-740. Schippmann, JS, Ash, RA, Battista, M, Carr, L, Eyde, L, Hesketh, B. Kehoe, J, Pearlman, K, Prien, EP & Sanchez, JI.