Getting admitted to the MAcc program
Anyone who has a bachelor's degree or is in the process of completing a bachelor's degree is eligible to apply to the full-time MAcc program. Admission is competitive.Apply now
Admission is based on several criteria including:
- Recommendation letters
- Internship or other relevant work experience
- Leadership roles
- Application essays
Students must apply to our program through KU Graduate Admissions. Please read the application instructions below before completing your online application.
The following items are among those required for application submission: two letters of recommendation, official transcripts, three essays, a current resume and a $65 application fee.
Applicants from schools other than the University of Kansas can contact the MAcc office to verify whether they are required to submit GMAT scores.
Note that you will be able to begin the application, save it and return to complete it later. You will also be able to check your application online to see if all of your materials have been received. Alternatively, feel free to contact an advisor to check the status of your application.
- Create an application account with KU Graduate Studies at gradapply.ku.edu. On the "Applying to the University of Kansas" page, click "Start New Application."
- Input your personal information on the first four pages.
- Select “degree seeking” for your academic intention. Under Academic Area of Interest select “Business." Under Academic Program, select “Accounting (M.Acc),” and under Enrollment Load select either “Full-Time” (Lawrence Campus) or “Working Professional” (Edwards Campus). Under Entry Term select the term you intend to begin graduate coursework.
- Complete the three required essays. The essays should speak to your commitment and motivation for completing the Master of Accounting program.
- You may paste the text from a word processing program.
- Pledge your support to the Honor Code of the School of Business.
- KU Student Applicants only:
- Please upload a copy of your KU Degree Progress Report (DPR) checklist available from the “My Progress” section of the myKU portal at my.ku.edu to your application.
Enter the information for every post-secondary institution you have attended. Transcript information is below. If you are required to submit official transcripts based on your degree history, please upload unofficial transcripts to your application while we wait for your official transcripts to arrive.
- KU Students and Alumni Applicants
- You do not need to provide an official transcript. Instead, please upload a copy of your KU Academic Summary available from Enroll & Pay at sa.ku.edu to your application. Do not upload your KU Degree Progress Report (DPR) to this section.
- If you are a KU alumnus and do not have access to the KU Academic Summary or have difficulty finding it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask that we upload your KU Academic Report to your submitted application.
- If you received credit or a degree from other academic institutions, you need to send official transcripts from those institutions to email@example.com.
- Non-KU Alumni Applicants
- Official transcripts are required for your application.
- If your institution offers official electronic transcripts, please order one and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your institution does not offer official electronic transcripts, please have an official sealed transcript sent to us at the following address: KU School of Business, Attn: Haley Carpenter, 1654 Naismith Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045
- Please do not open your official transcript or it will no longer be considered “official.”
- Enter names and email addresses of two recommenders on page 6.
- Select “I waive my right to access this report” to waive the right to review the recommendation.
- The two recommenders listed will receive an email from KU Graduate Studies asking them to complete a recommendation online as soon as you submit their contact information.
- Recommenders should complete both the survey and upload a supplemental letter with their online recommendation. KU faculty are not required to upload a supplemental letter.
- If your recommenders have any difficulty attaching their supplemental letter to their online recommendation, they can email their letter to email@example.com.
- Do not wait until you are notified that your recommendations have been completed to submit your application. You should submit your application once you have completed all of the application steps that you are responsible for.
Upload your resume on page 8, and submit your signature on page 9.
- The GMAT is not required for Working Professional candidates or applicants who earned an undergraduate accounting degree from KU.
- If you are required to submit a GMAT score, please note that they must be sent directly from the testing agency to KU to be considered official.
- Submit your application and enter payment information for the $65 application fee.