With a degree in information systems, you will be able to navigate databases and other information systems, which are skills needed in almost every field. Whether you work in a consulting firm providing services for clients or within a company, you will be pivotal to the technological skill and advancement of the company. As a business student, you can add a concentration in an area that interests you to diversify your education.
Refer to the Program Guide in the Advising Handouts for the complete list of requirements.
- IST 320: Fund of Software Development
- IST 325: Systems Analysis & Design
- IST 326 or BSAN 326: Database Magement Systems
- IST 330: Bus Computer Networking (Fall only)
- IST 410: Project Management (Fall only)
- +2 Advanced Business Electives
Advanced Business Electives (320 or higher)
- Information Security
- Management of Integrated Information Systems
- Contemporary Information Technology Topics
KU’s information systems program will give you a foundation in business disciplines while also giving you an understanding of the use of information technology in business and organizational settings.
As an information systems graduate, you will help your business or organization achieve strategic goals and operational objectives. By gaining analytical skills, logic, creativity and communication skills, you will develop an understanding of both business processes and the technologies available to support them. For more information on careers in information systems, check out Business Career Services.
Typical positions include:
- Database Administrator
- Global Information Systems Officer
- Information Systems Manager
- Information Technology Consultant
- Multimedia Programmer
- Network Administrator
- Process Analyst
- Systems Developer
- Systems Analyst
Freshman Direct Admission
Incoming freshmen are eligible for direct admission to the School of Business if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Earn an ACT score of 25 or above or a SAT combined score of 1200 or above (math and critical reading)
- Earn at least a 3.25 high school GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Indicate a business major on application to KU
Current KU students that wish to enter the School of Business must go through the Competitive Admissions process. There are two application cycles each year – a February 15 deadline for fall admission, and a September 15 deadline for spring admission.
Students apply during the semester they will complete the following minimum application requirements:
- Junior standing (60 credit hours)
- Minimum 2.5 GPA overall AND in business and economics coursework (both KU and non-KU credits)
- Completion of foundation coursework (list of coursework)
Applicants satisfying these requirements are ranked by academic merit and considered for admission based on rank and available space.
Only students admitted to KU through Office of Admissions (domestic students) or International Undergraduate Admissions (international students) are permitted to complete the KU School of Business application. Admission to the School of Business is done through the Competitive Admission process.
Edwards Campus BBA
For adult non-traditional students in Johnson County and the metropolitan Kansas City area, the KU School of Business offers the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) at the KU Edwards Campus.