Admissions requirements for transfer students

1. Apply to the University of Kansas

Apply to KU through the Office of Admissions. Gaining admission to the University of Kansas requires the submission of official college transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities.

For scholarship consideration, we encourage you to apply to KU by May 1 prior to the fall/summer semester or Dec. 1 prior to the spring semester you plan to transfer to KU.

2. Indicate a business major on your KU application

Find the list of business majors here. Please note: Indicating a business major on your application to KU does not guarantee entry into the KU School of Business.

3. Apply to the School of Business

Transfer students who meet the requirements below will be admitted to the School of Business. Transfer students who indicate a business major on their application to KU but do not meet the requirements will be given a pre-business interest code as a College of Liberal Arts & Sciences student. These students will then be eligible to apply for the School of Business when they meet the minimum requirements below.

  • Sophomore standing (30 credit hours)
  • Completion of three pre-admission foundation courses (must be taken for a grade)
    • ACCT 200 – Financial Accounting 1
    • BSAN 202 – Statistics
    • ECON 142 – Principles of Microeconomics
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.5+, including the following: 
    • Overall GPA (all transfer coursework)
    • Overall Professional GPA (all transfer business coursework, including ECON)

4. Apply to undergraduate academic programs

Students entering the school through the pre-business pathway are eligible to apply to our undergraduate student enrichment programs:

5. Get connected

Additional notes for transfer students

  • Transfer credits with earned grades of D+ and below will not satisfy KU and School of Business requirements. Transfer credits with earned grades of D+ and below will still be included in the GPAs for School of Business admission consideration.
  • A bachelor’s degree must include 120 completed credit hours. A student may apply a maximum of 64 credit hours of community college coursework to a KU degree. Students with more than 64 credit hours of community college coursework cannot apply the additional hours toward the 120 hour requirement.

Interested in seeing how your coursework transfers to KU?

Credits from your current or former institution may be transferred to KU. An official determination of how your credits transfer will be made once you have been admitted at KU and official transcripts of completed course work have been submitted to the Office of Admissions: 1502 Iowa St., Lawrence, Kansas, 66045. Electronic transcripts may be submitted to