Business Leadership Program
Business Leadership Program
The mission of the Business Leadership Program (BLP) is to provide significant experiences to a small group of talented business students in order to build leadership skills.
BLP students will use those skills to create positive impacts on fellow students with the goal of making the experience of all students in the University of Kansas School of Business better. Students are directly involved in the program during their first and second years at KU and are expected to continue the leadership challenge throughout their time at KU.
Through activities, events, and classroom discussions, students are presented with opportunities to further develop professional, personal, and career skills from the very onset of their academic careers. If you are a goal-orientated student with an interest in an enhanced academic experience and a willingness to challenge your leadership potential, then the BLP will be right for you.
The Business Leadership Program has limited enrollment and is therefore highly competitive. Students apply to the program as high school seniors in the fall semester. Incoming freshmen with a 28 or higher ACT (1310 or higher Evidence Based Reading/Writing and Math SAT), 26 or higher MATH ACT (620 or higher SAT), and 3.5 or higher high school GPA on a 4.0 scale are eligible to apply. Students must also indicate one of the eight business majors on their application to KU to be considered. Each year approximately 30 students will enter the program.
- $3,000 scholarship: $2,000 awarded during the first year and $1,000 the second.
- Enrollment in BUS 200 – a course with the director of the BLP exclusively for BLP participants. Students explore business majors and careers; build personal, professional, and leadership skills; and develop strong connections with fellow BLP members.
- Invitation to join an international program at conclusion of freshmen year. Scholarship funding available for all participants. Previous trips have included visits to Panama and Slovenia.
- Participation in leadership, communication, and professional development seminars led by industry leaders and experts.
- Invitations to networking events and company tours with representatives from top companies recruiting at KU.
- Participation in KU business’ professional mentoring program.
- Individual academic and career counseling from the directors of our Business Career Services Center and the assistant dean of academic programs.
- Cooperative programs and projects with students in the SELF Engineering Leadership Fellows Program.
- Participation on leadership projects in collaboration with the dean of the KU School of Business.
- Successful completion of BUS 200 in the fall and spring semesters of your freshman and sophomore years with a grade of “B” or better each semester.
- Maintain a 3.0 or higher KU and KU Professional (business & micro- & macro-economics) GPA.
- Maintenance of good standing within the University of Kansas School of Business.
Business Leadership Program students who fail to meet these requirements will be dropped from the program and will lose any associated scholarships.